Omaha Pet Sitters Association (OPSA) is a not for profit association of pet sitting business owners dedicated to the welfare of all animals and raising the standards of the pet sitting industry through example, education, and cooperation throughout the Midlands.
Our membership includes dog walkers and pet sitters who perform a variety of helpful services to suit your needs; including sitters that travel to your home to care for your pets and ones that bring your loved ones into their homes while you are away.
Pet sitters provide care for a variety of pets not only dogs and cats; but also exotics, pocket pets, horses, livestock, etc. Some of our members specialize (e.g. "cats only" sitters). Check with your chosen sitter to see if they can meet your needs.
By hiring an OPSA member to provide you with your pet care needs, you are insuring that you are hiring a reputable company whose main concerns are for the well-being of your pets. OPSA screens all of its applicants to make sure they have current liability insurance and proper business documentation. Documentation is checked annually to make sure the members have kept their insurance information up-to-date.
All OPSA members must also be in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. OPSA will handle any complaints about members of the organization, so you can be assured that your experience with an OPSA member will be worry free!
Established in January 2005 by founding members Jennifer Misfeldt, Laurie Bidrowski, Pam Purchase, Sarah Phipps and Jerry and Kim Larsen. The Omaha Pet Sitters Association was formed to maintain a standard of professionalism among pet sitters in our area.
Promote welfare of all animals and raise the standards of the pet sitting industry through example, education, and cooperation. To help new pet sitting businesses get started and foster camaraderie among members. Ensure that pets receive the highest quality of care while their owners are away.
PURPOSE AND GOALS
Networking within the membership, promotion of OPSA to the general public, and promoting continuing education for pet sitters. In addition, providing a standard of excellence that the public will come to associate with OPSA.
CODE OF ETHICS
1. To provide conscientious care for the animals entrusted to me, being constantly attentive to their security, safety and well-being, and to place their welfare above all other business considerations.
2. To take every opportunity to learn more about my profession and to improve my services.
3. To deal honestly and fairly with the public, and to avoid misrepresentation of my services.
4. To respect the confidence of every customer served.
5. To place service to my customers and to the pet sitting industry above personal gain.
6. To avoid unfair competitive practices, any slander or defamation of my competitors, and actions or business practices which would result in industry in general.
7. To support my association, its policies and programs, and to participate as fully as possible in its activities.
8. To be respectful of, and to cooperate with the other professions and trades which operate within the pet industry, in every way consistent with my other responsibilities.
9. To obey all applicable Federal, State, and local laws governing animal care.
10. To operate my business in such a manner as to reflect honor upon the pet sitting industry within my local community.
11. To encourage responsible pet ownership.